The first building, corresponding to the eastern part of today’s château, was erected in the late 14th century. Remodeled several times, it now houses the town hall and the Maison des Gorges museum, among others.
As early as the late 14th or early 15th century, a castle or fortification appears to have been built on the site of today’s castle, at the western end of the village, which had been growing around the church and a possible ecclesiastical fortified barn for several decades.
It is likely that an enclosed courtyard accompanied the castle from this period.
This first château became the property of the de Demandolx family in the early 16th century. However, most of the château’s current appearance is the result of major conversion and enlargement work carried out between 1744 and the French Revolution.
The château was confiscated during the Revolution, subdivided and sold to the inhabitants of La Palud. On the 1835 land register, it was divided between 18 owners. Following the sale, a potter’s workshop was built in the southeast corner, and remained in operation until 1927. The construction of the staircase at the south end of the west façade undoubtedly dates from this period. The château was bought by the commune in 1984, and between then and 2010, extensive restoration and renovation work was carried out.