La fontaine et l’oratoire du Moustier

Verdon Tourisme > La fontaine et l’oratoire du Moustier
Angles-en

Despite the presence of a fountain in the village center, the inhabitants of the Moustier district obtained their own fountain in 1898, as the date engraved in the stone indicates.

The adjoining, more recent washhouse served only as a rinsing basin for small jobs. Side by side, the oratory and fountain underline the identity and autonomy of the Moustier district.
This district of Angles is called Le Moustier, a word that comes from “monastery”. It is sometimes referred to in local archives as the “Moustier hamlet”. The origin of this name dates back to around the 12th century. This was the site of a priory belonging to the powerful Lérins Abbey, founded in the 5th century by Saint Honorat on an island in the Mediterranean off the coast of Cannes, and whose possessions extended throughout Provence. The oratory at the entrance to the hamlet is naturally dedicated to this saint. Saint Honorat is also the patron saint of the parish church.

  • Spoken languages
    • French

Angles-en